Saturday, April 7, 2007

(cam) A Frank Evaluation of Rapper Sword Videos on YouTube

At this point, the YouTube phenomenon cannot be ignored. So quickly has their technology of instantaneous video vanquished the pretenders Real Audio and Quick Time that anytime I see the word "Buffering" for more than a split second sends chills down my spine. It is truly an awesome and exciting world we live in when I can, in less than a moment's time, gain access to the video for This is Why I'm Hot.

But even the Mighty Mims, hot though he may be, has nothing on these rappers. Though they have substituted the mine for the ghetto, a rhythmic stomp for electronic beats, and actual rapiers for rhymes, they deserve no fewer "props" for their efforts.

This video claims to be "informative." It is informative in about the same way that fast-forwarding through a National Geographic special while wearing nightvision goggles is informative, but I think it's worth it for the "intergalactic" quotation.


Here we have an actual dance. The shining feature of this particular number is that it's the only video I could find on the entire world of YouTube in which you can hear their feet. The stepping is appropriately loud here, though a bit slower than I'd like. The other thing I like about this video is it looks like a bunch of bar schlubs just got up and decided to do some rapper sword dancing. Most teams are all wiry and athletic looking, but these guys actually look like the might've just got back from a mine. There's a great from-behind shot that showcases their assets. I suppose this might be why they're so slow.


Now this is what I'm talking about for speed. Too bad you can't even really tell how fast they're going because their feet sound like "shff-shff-tap-shff" instead of "bamity bamity bamity BAM" (if you know what I mean). They also get points for having a much more sophisticated repertoire of figures and snazzy-looking vests. I just about voided myself in astonishment during their grand finale. Yet the whole "high school gym basketball court" atmosphere doesn't really do it for me.


This is my favorite one of the bunch. The atmosphere is appropriately pubbish, the speed is great, and you can still hear their feet well enough (though still not as much as I'd like). You also have the guy with the coat and top hat walking around and making appropriately British-sounding comments. He's clearly the star of the show. The only thing I'd change is to give them a more interesting, less "round and round" looking routine.

For the future, you can expect this form of dancing to surge in popularity from its humble YouTube beginnings. By 2009 someone will win the "Dancing with the Stars" competition with a rapper sword medley. By 2011, the sequel to "Stomp the Yard," possibly entitled "Slash the Yard," will focus on the story of a young Northumbrian miner who revolutionizes the rapper scene at Oxford University. Shortly thereafter, a macarena-like rapper crazy will sweep the globe and kids of all ages will carry flexible, double-handled swords with them at all times, should they find themselves in the midst of a dance party with blinding fast jig melodies as the main musical theme.

Mark my words, this will be a thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Chigby, I enjoyed your post! I liked the last one the best as well, especially the top-hat bloke. Although I became a little dizzy with the rappers going round and round. Good show! I could see this being the dance craze of the 21st century.

Anonymous said...

Rapper dancing is the next big thing just like when i thought hurling feces at hobos for sport would catch on.

brandtlee said...

nice. very nice