Tuesday, April 3, 2007

(mar) Lupine Euphony

These last couple of months saw the releases of a number of powerful and highly anticipated indie albums. Neon Bible, Hissing Fauna and Sound of Silver in particular created a stir in the music world. Of course, I love these albums as much as the next guy, but I can't help but think one of my favorites was a little overlooked. It was featured on Pitchfork's coveted Best New Music, but I haven't heard much about it since! This album is called The Magic Position, by one Patrick Wolf. It follows up his beautiful folk/electronic experimentations heard on 2005's Wind in the Wires, and goes just where he needed to. The album starts with the staggeringly beautiful Overture which showcases Wolf's expressive and sometimes Gothic voice with swirls of strings and ominous percussion. A number of other tracks on the album stand out for me, including the poppy and single-worthy Accident and Emerncy and the epic Bluebells. Each of these tracks is skillfully arranged, and the tracks are seperated by delightful instrumental and electronic vignettes which bring the whole piece to life. However, not only is he talented musically, but this guy has an amazing style! Enjoy this series of glamour shots:



Not since the days of glam has rock been so deliciously tarted up. It's clear to me that the young wolf is channeling Bowie circa Ziggy Stardust. The fiery haircolor and sequins-clad androgyny may be only slightly derivative, but I enjoy the modern twist he's given to them. His strangely mannequin like visage and toy-doll wardrobe only make his sounds more enjoyable. Do check out the song Overture I've uploaded at left in my "Marcy's: What's the Poop?" section. While you're at it, take a moment to visit his Mypsace page to stream a few more noteworthy tunes. And last, but not least, check out Patrick on Welsh pop-star Charlotte Church's variety show doing a cover of Prince's When Doves Cry, it's fun.


- Marcelo

3 comments:

ratpussé said...

those pictures are cool, but that guy looks like an asshole.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, he really does. He probably wouldn't talk to you if you approached him.

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!! Oh my!! Aside from the delightful tunes in my ears from Mr. Patrick Wolf..... HE IS ONE DAMN HOT COOKIE. Thanks for posting those pics, you made my day:)