Wednesday, March 7, 2007

(crs) This time a more serious eulogy

I know that I gave a less-than-heartfelt send-off when ANS shuffled off her mortal coil, but today I think it's important to recognize the passing of a true role-model.

That's right, in the copy of Captain America that hit stands today, he is leveled by a sniper's bullet. Now, I don't consider myself a huge fan per se, but I'm a comic book devotee, and of the Marvel persuasion at that. When any main character is tragically retired it pulls on a few heart strings. Who but the good ol' Cap could have fought Hitler, rallied the Justice League, or fought Hitler when he faked his own death and put his brain in a new and horribly enhanced body?

I'm not saying that it's unlikely he be somehow resurrected, but the whole fake death thing is way more DC Comics than Marvel (except in the case of Spiderman, I suppose). I think it would be a mistake in this case, though. The only thing worse than killing off a super hero with a long distinguished history of action, service, and near-cloying patriotism would be an awkward and undignified rise from the dead. Let's all say thank you and farewell to one of the strongest embodiements of true patriotism that our country has had.

-Chris


P.S. - Did you see what Cap is packing in that picture? My oh my.

No comments: