Friday, February 16, 2007

(mar) And you thought the Koto was hot?


Don't you love the crazy Japanese? Who else would dress their cat up and paint it blue to look like Doraemon? As long as we're on the subject, I found this way cool myspace page: It Came From Japan. This is a U.K. based group which arranges for Japanese musical obscurities to tour outside of Japan (in the U.K., actually). This time around, they are showcasing three talented electronic bands. While I am not from, nor have ever been to the UK, this doesn't present a huge opportunity for me. However, I am excited at the fact that somebody is dredging my fave island for hot musical acts. Being something of a Japanophile, I am always excited to get my hands on some sweet Japanese tunes (see Buffalo Daughter), and these are among the sweetest I have sampled in some time. My choice of the three featured bands would have to be Sonic Dragolgo, self-proclaimed "electro-pop superstar". The danceable techno instrumentation and lushly saccharine vocoded lyrics give the song a special place in my heart. You can also read interviews with all three bands in this article from Music Towers.

And as you listen, think of this: An unusual and darling Japanese scat-figurine. You paint it yourself!!

- Marcelo

No comments: