Wednesday, February 28, 2007

(mar) Get on that God Damned Bus!

If you're of the same ilk as myself, you know every word to every Hedwig and the Angry Inch song, and have choreographed dance numbers using your ficus as a dance-partner, and a mop as your gorgeous Farrah Fawcett fall. Hedwig allowed us to discover the genius that is John Cameron Mitchell, mastermind behind the wig-in-a-box. If you weren't aware, in 2006 he released a new film entitled simply: Shortbus. Now, I'm no cinema critic (in fact, my favorite movies include Sleepaway Camp I, II, and III, Little Women, and anything involving zombies), but this film really got to me. Despite being the most sexually explicit film I have seen in a long time (aside from Pizza Boy IV), it was at once emotive, cathartic and beautiful. While my heart can but slowly pump a viscous poison through my veins due to being permanently encased in bitter hoarfrost, this movie still made me pop a boner shed a tear. Yes, even ol' mama Marcy is capable of such open and shameless expression. John Cameron, you've won me over! Check out the theatrical trailer, here (warning, this is moderately NSFW):


Essentially, the movie chronicles the lives of several characters, who all meet in a place called the Shortbus, a place which combines eclectic and kitschy decor with neo-folk music and Summer of Love-style orgies. My favorite quote from the movie: "It's like the sixties, but without all the hope." The movie also features a cast of quirky New York hotties with appearances by Bitch (formerly of Bitch and Animal), and JD Samson (of Le Tigre). And since I am about to make the move to NYC myself, this movie filled me with optimism. My only hope is that I find an all-are-welcome sex salon named after public transit for special-ed children. My fingers are crossed, and I can only ask that yours do the same.

One last thing -- the soundtrack for this movie is hot hot HOT! As you enjoy this cinema gem, you get to listen to the music stylings of Animal Collective, Yo La Tengo, and The Hidden Cameras. Also, be on the lookout for newcomers Scott Matthew (love it!) and Jay Brannan (appears in the film as Ceth).

- Marcelo

Addendum: I can't help myself. Here's my fave song from Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Wicked Little Town. She is so FIERCE!

No comments: