Monday, February 12, 2007

(mau) Drawings that explode!


I have known about this site for a long time. I became enlightened after my cousin's husband made me some sick mix cd's with exploding dog pics on each cd. Who doesn't love enigmatic phrases that get turned into stick-figured fish and flying robots. I tell you, I can't get enough of Sam's stuff! It's like getting visual fortune cookies that predict laughter more than the future. I will one day meet Sam and shake his hand and offer my gratitude with a sweet mix cd filled with the audio delights that match up with his visual wit. Until then, the soundtrack lives in my mind. The cool thing about Exploding Dog is that you get to e-mail Sam and give him a phrase or whatever you want to say and he'll draw it. Some people put things like "I'm lonely" or "It's quiet in here" and Sam will draw a bunch of fish floating over the desert with a nuclear sky backdrop. This one is appropriatley titled, "It's My Brain"...I just love the little stick dude typing away on his lil' laptop. It doesn't get any more psychedelic than that. I'm going to put something like "Five strange people in an unknown town" and see what he does with that. That's a nod to you, Amy, because you are the only person in the world who knows what the hell that means. I hope to see some robots making sweet, sweet mechanical love in an apocolyptic city. That would be hot!

-Mauro

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So much fun! My three favs from poking around on the site are "let's get it on", "you said forever, once...", and "can you draw a guy standing next to some waves holding a surfboard". The people suggesting phrases for this site sure have a flair for the melancholy, though!