Monday, February 12, 2007

(mar) Hot Doggie!

How often do you sit by your desk-side, caught in mid day reverie, and think to yourself: "I wonder if, in a competitive eating situation, a bear could eat more hot-dogs than a man?" At the behest of my friend Mark, I am chronicling an event of great magnitude, which pits all the cunning of man against sheer ursine puissance. In a new low for televised absurdity, enjoy this media treasure:



Particularly noteworthy are the commentators. Had it not been for their skilled journalistic professionalism, this event would barely have approached entertainment value. But with their help, it's a blockbuster smash. I especially like when they say "the bear doesn't know this is a competition". Priceless. My one qualm with this event is that Kobayashi was interviewed after the match, but not the bear. The only explanation I can come up with is that a bear-translator could not be found, which doesn't surprise me. As of 2005, there are only three accredited universities which offer degrees in ancient Bearish.

That damn bear is so cute, stooped over his little table. The only thing that could have made this better for me is if they had given him a little silverware set. Hope you enjoy this, and on a related topic, I give you another fabulous grizzly bear tune.

Grizzly Bear vs. The Knife: Heartbeats + Knife this is a little all-over-the-place, but a worthy listen. Ciao!


- Marcelo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"No hands for the bear!" Sadly, I don't think the announcer was making an astute anatomical observation so much as he was just being an asshole. It was like a nightmarish Iron Chef America episode (I was just waiting for the second round when then brought out sausage-cased mounds of Bobby Flay and Mario Batali flesh) Or some jingoistic metaphorical statement about the second world war. Keep 'em coming Marcelo.