Tuesday, February 20, 2007

(mik) Heartbeats, Two Ways (I like mine irregular)

By now I'm sure you have probably heard of, listened to, completely absorbed, and fell in love with The Knife . And if you haven't, you should stop being such a jerk and lend them your ears.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What I wasn't aware of, and this is probably old news, is that the melancholic folk stylings of Jose Gonzalez (who also hails from Sweden) covers the song. I have no idea how a person named Jose Gonzalez is from Sweden, and frankly, I don't care. The only thing that I'm concerned about is how excited I was when I heard it today. After hearing Jose serenade me with his touching, masculine, hella dope siren song, I couldn't figure out if Jose is covering The Knife, or if The Knife is covering Jose. Being too lazy to spend five minutes and research, I'll let you make your own decision. It doesn't really matter, as both versions are totally flippin' awesome.

mp3:
Jose Gonzalez: Heartbeats
The Knife: Heartbeats

-Mike

PS If you haven't seen The Knife's acceptance speech at the Swedish Grammys (where they destroyed the competition apparently, I guess they're Sweden's version of Mary J. Blige), I suggest you check it out; it's deliciously weird:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, these songs both came out like two to three years ago. Additionally, Jose covers Knife, not the other way around. Jose's version was even featured on a Starbucks compilation CD (seriously degrading its coolness). Still, awesome songs, I have to agree. Everyone should also listen to "we share our mother's health" from their new album "silent shout".

Anonymous said...

P.S. That was the most terrifying acceptance speech I've ever seen. Wish I spoke Swedish.

king-bug said...

Solid recommendation... I'm digging "silent shout" currently...

Anonymous said...

I love your knife

Anonymous said...

"I love your knife"? Has this place so quickly degenerated into a venue for poorly masked penis references? For shame!